My third week has been pretty mellow. I was near all of my favourite places to thrift, but I was too busy with life stuff so I just didn't go thrifting. At first, I thought this was a fail on my end, but then I realized that it would start to feel like a chore if I kept forcing myself to thrift when I didn't necessarily feel like it. Throughout this project, I've kept true to my statement about only buying clothes from thrift shops, and haven't really gotten the urge to go back to my old shopping habits.
Why would I anyway? I'm saving money and clearing my conscious.
Because it's been so easy breezy, I don't think I'd have a hard time continuing this habit outside of this project. In fact, the other night I was thinking that after this project I'd only buy clothing from consignment stores, vintage shops, and thrift shops. So, its pretty clear that this has been a pretty easy habit to build and possibly continue in the future.
After reading James Clear's article How Long Does it Actually Take to Form a New Habit?, it seems that I may be an outlier in the habit building community. In the article, Clear says it's been proven that it takes a minimum of 21 days to truly get used to building a new habit. This doesn't just mean doing the thing you said you'd do, it's more like fluidly doing that thing and not having to remind yourself to do it.
We've only been doing this project for 18 days, so I'm pretty sure the reason I'm not having issues with my habit is that its not a hard thing for me to do. I used to thrift all the time, then I got a job and felt a little pressure to step my game up, and now I know how to shop right at thrift stores so that's no longer a problem.
Thrifting isn't hard to do and its not something I have to do often, so I'm good at keeping up with myself. This starkly contrasts another, harder habit I'm trying to implement. That would be pescatarianism. I started off pretty good and was pescatarian for a solid two months, and then I saw popcorn chicken... Shortly after that I saw gyros....
Its a weakness of mine, what can I say 🤷🏾♀️
But that just goes to show that when you make a drastic change, hoping to make it a habit, it may not be as easy of a habit to develop as thrifting was for me.
Why would I anyway? I'm saving money and clearing my conscious.
Because it's been so easy breezy, I don't think I'd have a hard time continuing this habit outside of this project. In fact, the other night I was thinking that after this project I'd only buy clothing from consignment stores, vintage shops, and thrift shops. So, its pretty clear that this has been a pretty easy habit to build and possibly continue in the future.
After reading James Clear's article How Long Does it Actually Take to Form a New Habit?, it seems that I may be an outlier in the habit building community. In the article, Clear says it's been proven that it takes a minimum of 21 days to truly get used to building a new habit. This doesn't just mean doing the thing you said you'd do, it's more like fluidly doing that thing and not having to remind yourself to do it.
We've only been doing this project for 18 days, so I'm pretty sure the reason I'm not having issues with my habit is that its not a hard thing for me to do. I used to thrift all the time, then I got a job and felt a little pressure to step my game up, and now I know how to shop right at thrift stores so that's no longer a problem.
Thrifting isn't hard to do and its not something I have to do often, so I'm good at keeping up with myself. This starkly contrasts another, harder habit I'm trying to implement. That would be pescatarianism. I started off pretty good and was pescatarian for a solid two months, and then I saw popcorn chicken... Shortly after that I saw gyros....
Its a weakness of mine, what can I say 🤷🏾♀️
But that just goes to show that when you make a drastic change, hoping to make it a habit, it may not be as easy of a habit to develop as thrifting was for me.
From what I've read in other classmate blogs, it generally takes a while for people to become accustomed to a new habit.
ReplyDeleteDon't force yourself to go thrift shopping everyday; since you're saving money it would be reasonable to go out at least once a week.
Good luck on your project.
I think that is really cool that you are doing this and that you can see yourself continuing it in the future, I was wondering if that means only thrifting or just trying to thrift more while still "normal" shopping.
ReplyDeleteLove the blog <3
why you do something your already used to >
ReplyDeleteIt makes sense that if you thrifted to much it would feel like a chore so its probably good you don't have enough time to go as often as the project parameters would make you.
ReplyDeleteI think it's great how you plan on continuing this after the project and how you are going to narrow down the habit even more to purchasing "...clothing from consignment stores, vintage shops, and thrift shops"!
ReplyDeleteleave a citation.
ReplyDeleteI did cite my only source.
Delete